Siska's rants.. and some other things

A lot of new things happen in my life and surround me..so I decide to write everything comes up in my mind, to remind me again of all the silly and interesting bits and pieces...

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Taxi Drivers in Abu Dhabi

There are 3 main type of taxis in this town:
1. the cheapest taxi - usually in white cars with green and gold lining at the back of the cars. This taxis own by individuals and they hire drivers to operate the taxis. The meter start at 2.00 dhs and will increase ~ 1.5 every kms
2. Moderate - nicer taxi - several taxi companies, such: National Taxi, AD Transport, and some other. Variety in car colors, but normally in creme-whiteish cars with yellow lamp on top of cars. The meter starts at 2.5 or 3.5 dhs.
3. The limousine - this cars can be booked and the trip will be more costly compare to other 2 taxis. The meter will start at 10.00 dhs.
In particular, the cheapest taxis - since they are owned by individuals, there is no standard and no complaint can be made to. The drivers are mainly come from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh..Despite the particular origins they are from, the drivers are notorious of some funny, unbelievable acts. AD streets with no numbering system makes it even worse, since sometimes they hardly speak English:
- One time I took a taxi to client office, I mentioned "ZADCO".. then He dropped me at the back of the office, which means that i have either go through parking lots to reach the lobby or walk around the block to reach the front door. So I asked him to turn aroudn and get me to the front side of the building. But no, he persistently stop the car and wait for me to pay and go out. "It's far to go to front of the building, you stop here" (Of course he didn't say that.. but that's what he want to say if he can, bet me!)
- It was weekend, Friday, afternoon. It was a bit difficult to get taxi this time, since the whole town are still sleeping. I wait for 15-min and luckily one taxi pass by. So I jumped in and mentioned Marina Mall - One among 3 big malls in AD. He was confused, so I added: "corniche", still he mentioned some words and at teh end he said "I don't know" and stop the car again. Gosh!... He's a taxi driver in this not so big town and don't now one of the biggest mall in town???
- Do not ever say "near" - some famous place. They just don't get the concept that maybe the destination place is not actually the famous landmarks or places.. but somewhere nearby.
- The best story was when the driver bargained me (in my other blog). I just still feel this is funny, but dare not to happen for the 2nd time!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home