Siska's rants.. and some other things

A lot of new things happen in my life and surround me..so I decide to write everything comes up in my mind, to remind me again of all the silly and interesting bits and pieces...

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Squash: for health or for torture?

Currently I like squash very much.
I started from the scratch, in the terms that: I've never seen the racket and the ball..nor have I seen the court.
It was last year that I went with couple of friends to play squash in the nearby court. First thing grabbed my attention was that the court is indoor with some AC in:).. quite nice for an exercise.
The squash court is always a square room fully closed..covered with 3 sided walls and 1 glass walls as the backside/exit.
There are 2 players for each game. One serves first and hit the ball to the front wall. The ball can bounce maximum 1 time before another player must catch it. The ball is allowed to bounde to the side walls or to the back glass wall.
The racket is similar tennis racket but smaller in diameter and lighter. The ball is small with 2 inches diameter, made from black rubber. The ball is usually hard to bounce at the first, because it is still cold.. but after a while, then it becomes more flexible and bouncing easier.
At first, it was difficult to hit the ball, since I am never got any practice yet.. so at that time squash is just a time killing and trying new thing. In addition, I don't have my own racket and also we need to go to the court to play.
But just recently I started playing it again, since the new court is ready in the compound. And also a friend lend me her squash racket and balls (which is still with me until now: 3 weeks later:p).
And now, after 2 weeks playing squash almost everyday, I think I start to enjoy it as I start to get the knack of hitting the ball.
I am lucky since the court is available just in front of the apartment (one not-so-good-thing from this court is that they don't provide any AC, just a fan hanging from the roof... but the other hand... it is like we went for sauna as well when playing squash.. so... not really a problem).
And also, I have several friends with the same interest for the squash.. and we always meet at the court after work. Also teach me some good tecniques.
But then, after a while, I just notice that when I played I was too hard on myself, sometimes couldn't control myself and bumped myself to the wall. resulting 2 big bruises on both of my knees, another bruises on my thigh, wrist, elbows and the worst is I twisted the muscle on my neck.. so that I can barely move my head.
I tought that it is just a minor thing, but the pain wouldn't come off the next day. I was stubborn and told myself that this will be over shortly. But last night it was so painful, even when I laid myself down on bed. It still hurted.
Today I call a masseur. i called her to come to my place and massage me. It does not make any difference, that the pain is still there.
So I don't know what I want from this activity.. it seems not being healthy that I got, but rather: a damage to my body.
I have to be more careful next time..
Oops, I have to remind everybody about another squash session this afternoon...:D

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home