Siska's rants.. and some other things

A lot of new things happen in my life and surround me..so I decide to write everything comes up in my mind, to remind me again of all the silly and interesting bits and pieces...

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Hummous



.....also spelled hamos, houmous, hommos, hommus, hummos, hummous or humus

is a dip or spread made from cooked and mashed chickpea, blended with tahini (sesama seed paste), lemon juice, oilve oil, salt and garlic. This is one among the fabulous great food I've ever taste and I really enjoy it. This is one of my arabic food favorite and to my luck that in AD, I can find as much hummous as I want:).

This weekend I stayed at home and I ate hummous for breakfast and luch and dinner for 2 days in a row! And oopss.. even I have prepared my breakfast to bring to the office tommorow:).

I really tried to encourage myself to eat more veggies and this weekend, a good wind blowed me to buy some vegetables and pickles and hummous in the supermarket: which turned to be a good start. I bought carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes, then hummous, pickled lebanese black olives and pickled chilli.

After arrived home, I sliced 1 carrot, 1 tomato and 1 cucumber, springkled with lime juice, chilli and olives and poured hummous paste above and mixed. Well.. it looked like a baby pukey, but the taste was wonderful! Moreover I feel glad since this taste healthy:).

The next day I made similar thing again. In total this weekend I have made this so called pukey salad 3 times:).

Curious about this Hummous stuff, I browsed Wikipedia and found out that this food is one of the oldest prepared food of human civilization. Some source mentioned that early civilization of Egypt has known in food at 8th century. Even, chickpea, the main ingridient is one among the earliest crops grown in Mesopotamia. And the best thing is, some researchers says that the nutritional benefits from this food has contributed to the early civilization around middle east. What a powerful food is it?:).
This food has high nutritional value from chickpea: low fat (mostly polysaturated fat), protein, dietary fiber, iron, zinc and vitamin C, even some says that the calcium content of chickpea is not that much different than yoghurt. One hundred grams o mature boiled chickpeas contains 164 cal, 2.6 gr of fat (of which only 0.27 gr is saturated), 7.6 gr of dietary fiber and 8.9 gr of protein.
Hummous normally served with flat bread and can be part of Meze, a set of small dishes (hot or cold) to accompany main arabic dishes.
I can eat hummous in anyways, and the best thing I like about this stuff is that I can eat carrot and other vegetables and really enjoying the taste!


Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 4:56 PM, May 04, 2008 , Blogger Lil' An said...

    Nice blog. I remember my first hummous was Turkish. They said that it is different and nothing like the other mediterranian hummous. Then I tried my second one which was Greek. To me, both taste almost the same!
    Keep on writing, Sis!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home